York & District Schoolboys Football

U13s York 0-0 Pendle

Graves; Jones, Whalen, Morgan, Evans; Richardson, Chan, Clarkson, Myers; Clark, Fash.   Substitutes (all used) Jackson, Boyeson, Almond, Parkinson, Sorgie.

Far from being a bore draw, this was a high-quality game between two well matched sides who were both organised in defence and played good, passing football.

Early in the game, Dylan Jones showed typical composure to keep possession deep in the York half at right back. Linking well with Lucan Chan and Joseph Richardson, they combined to move the ball to the edge of the Pendle area from where Oliver Fash shot narrowly over the bar. Moments later Fash was through on goal only to be denied by the Pendle goalkeeper diving bravely at his feet. Sam Clark then combined well with Richardson and Chan but his shot was well blocked.  York were dealt a blow just before half time when a forward burst from full back Ryan Evans was halted and he took a heavy fall injuring his shoulder having to be replaced. Substitute Parkinson came close to scoring with his first touch following a good run and cross from Richardson.

Pendle had an equal share of possession but their forwards were well marshalled by the York back four and keeper Graves had little to do.

Despite numerous changes at half time, York quickly settled into a groove and dominated the second half: increasingly so as the half wore on. Adam Clarkson was (as usual) to the fore, making one barnstorming run down the right wing, shrugging off numerous challenges to reach the Pendle penalty area. He then showed great composure to look up and pick the right pass to Kean Sorgie who struck his shot first time but wide. Ben Myers struck an excellent free kick which a Pendle defender, in his attempt to clear, deflected towards his own goal bringing a reflex save from his goalkeeper.

Noah Morgan then slalomed forward from right back beating numerous Pendle players before the ball was spread to Mitch Parkinson (who was posing a real threat at right wing) but his cross could not be turned home by any of the host of York attackers in the box. A quickly taken free kick form Morgan again released Parkinson and his cross this time found Bobby Boyeson who darted between defenders and dinked a finish past the Pendle keeper only to see it strike the inside of the post and rebound agonisingly cross the six yard box and beyond Bobby’s reach. Clarkson shot over from a corner and Parkinson wide after good work from Oliver Fash but, for all their territorial dominance, York could not break the deadlock.

It was a fine team performance which merited a win.  York moved the ball well and played some flowing football at times. There were some fine individual performances. Jack Whalen won so many challenges: each time intelligently playing the easy pass to retain possession. Luca Chan was outstanding at the fulcrum of the midfield, holding the shape of the team and linking the play well. Mitch Parkinson was a real threat at right wing where, despite being up against a strong left back, he provided a string of dangerous crosses into the box.

Following the poor display against Wakefield, this performance was a welcome return to form and only the width of a post prevented it from being what would have been a deserved victory.