U14s Wakefield 2-1 York

This was a good game, both sides played to their strengths. Wakefield opted to fill the midfield and play through the centre whilst York went wide and made good progress down the wings.

Wakefield opened proceedings on 8th minute with a pass into the York penalty box and the subsequent shot was well saved by Louis Powell who parried the ball wide. 2 minutes later Archie Colley crosses in from the right wing, Joe Sidebottom helps the ball on its way to Callum Thorpe who was not left unmarked for long, his hurried shot just missing the target.

Both sided tested the wood work, Ellis Cattaneo striking an in-swinging corner that tantalisingly bounced along the top of the crossbar, before going out for a goal kick. From the resulting goal kick Wakefield mounted an attack which saw them 1v1 with York’s goalkeeper Lious Powell, what Wakefield didn’t expect was a dashing Ollie B-H who managed to lunge in front of the shot and blocking a certain goal. Louis Powell cleared up the loose ball finding striker Joe Sidebottom who picked up the pass on the corner of the Wakefield box.

Dribbling along the edge of box, skipping past loose challenges and getting a shot off with his left foot which nestled into the bottom right corner, 0-1. Wakefield stepped up their game and increased the pressure on Yorks defence. Ollie B-H was called upon a second time to make a timely block inside the visitor’s penalty box to prevent Wakefield from equalizing before half-time.

Wakefield started the second half where they left the first, a low shot caused Louis Powell to dive full length to his right to nudge the ball around the post for a corner. The pressure on Yorks goal took its toll and following a shot that struck the post, Wakefield was first to react and a simple tap in drew the score level, 1-1 55 minutes.

Yorks’ battle in the midfield was continuous and a loose ball was seized upon by a Wakefield player. Following a short pass to a free player, whom struck it first time, curling the ball into the top right corner of Yorks goal. 2-1 65 minutes.  York rallied, and the ever-present Jamie Grainger who had battled with the Wakefield defence throughout the game continued to the press hard until the very end.

Late shots and headers were comfortably dealt with by the Wakefield keeper and the final whistle finished the game 2-1 in Wakefield’s favour.

MOTM – Ollie Brooks-Humphrey