YSB Football

U13s York 0-9 Wakefield

Halloween arrived a day early for the York & District u13 Schoolboys, as a much-anticipated league game against Wakefield Schoolboys turned into the stuff of nightmares. The horror show was compounded by the torrential rain that accompanied the game, but no one could predict the disaster of a performance that was awaiting the York boys.

Early warning signs were there when Wakefield hit the crossbar from a corner in the opening minutes as the defence came under constant attack but were holding firm. At the other end York started to settle down and Dylan Harvey made a great run down the wing following good interplay between Ewan Daly and Olaf Gorczyczweski. Harvey had his shot and follow up blocked and it fell to him for a third time but sliced his shot wide. This would be the last meaningful attack for York in some time. Daly left the field shortly afterwards with a recurring knee injury with Ewan Waddington coming in, pushing Harry Clarkson into the attacking midfield role.

With the rain now torrential combined with the long grass on the pitch, passes needed to be strong and accurate. Unfortunately, a bad back pass from the York defence didn’t have enough power to make it to Ben Adler in goals who couldn’t get to it in time before the Wakefield striker rounded Adler to slot the first of 9 goals for Wakefield.

Despite the scoreline suggesting otherwise, Adler had a good game in goal producing some excellent saves and blocks to keep the score down even further.  At the back Charlie Goodwin, Harley Waddington, Daniel Kennedy and Joe Turbine had a torrid time and struggled with the conditions with an uncharacteristic error strewn first half. Oliver Oaten at full back produced some good moments and was a willing runner for overlapping attacks. Kennedy and Edward Shakeshaft on the left were trying hard to build momentum and attacks down the left wing.

Six nil down at half time and the objective now was to try to “win the second half”. This was a slightly better display from York, but the game was already gone and really it was a case of playing for pride.  Miles Merer and Clarkson were getting more possession in midfield and Finn Davis on the left wing was working hard but York rarely threatened the Wakefield goal in what was a rare toothless display from an attacking perspective. York were second best all over the pitch and despite doing well to keep Wakefield at bay for long periods of the second half, the goals inevitably returned as the team began to tire, eventually conceding a ghoulish nine goals.

A day to forget for York, but a big congratulations to Wakefield on an excellent performance as they now sit top of the table after the first 4 league games. York move on to Doncaster next week hoping for a chance to restore some pride.