York & District Schoolboys Football

U15s Hull 2-1 York & District

League Game 4 – 21st October 2023
Hull Schoolboys 2 – 1 York & District Schoolboys

Team Lineup: Ben Alder, Oliver Waygood, Charlie Anderson, Luca Long, Lucas Matthews, Harry Waines, Isaac Arif, Sam Parris, Dara Sanusi, Ewan Daly, Matthew Orr, Charlie Goodwin, Olaf Gorczyczweski, Finn Davis

Storm Babet was raging across the north of England that was causing havoc with fixtures, but luckily Hull’s facilities allowed the game to take place for game day 4 of the league campaign. It turned out to be a really tight, competitive game with York just falling short of a deserved point. Hull were protecting a 100% record in the league so York knew this would be a tough game, but credit to both teams for producing a very entertaining game.

A very even start from both sides, with York slowly growing into the game and having the first meaningful chance when Dara Sanusi shot from outside the box, but it was always rising and didn’t trouble the keeper. Both sides continued to have similar long range efforts as the defences were standing firm, making it difficult to fashion clear cut opportunities. Hull’s pacy wingers were kept at bay by the excellent Lucas Matthews and Charlie Goodwin. At the back Luca Long was having another excellent game alongside Charlie Anderson and Oliver Waygood, ensuring Ben Alder in goal was having a solid first half. However the deadlock was broken when a loose pass in midfield was pounced upon and Hull transitioned quickly, finishing brilliantly to give them the lead. However minutes later a great pass from Matthews set Ewan Daly free to bear down on goal, but uncharacteristically pulled his show wide when an equaliser seemed certain. It was a let off for Hull, but York were still well in the game, and had a number of chances afterwards with Goodwin’s shot narrowly going wide after some great interplay, and Olaf Gorczyczweski also flashing a shot across goal.

Isaac Arif and Harry Waines were winning the ball back well in midfield and Sam Parris was also causing problems out wide. However just before half time it was Hull who struck again when a corner was not defended well at the front post and the ball somehow managed to evade Alder and Waygood as it dribbled over the line. 2-0 down at half time despite playing well, but it was Hull who were the more clinical.

Second half and it was crucial York got the next goal. Alder continued to be a safe pair of hands in goal and was regularly sweeping up as well as starting play from the back. Sanusi was now getting more aggressive in midfield and he, Arif and Waines were regularly winning the ball back to push York forward. A surging run from Parris lead to a dangerous free kick, but York couldn’t capitalise. Sanusi tested the keeper who made a good save and Finn Davis was chasing hard and causing turnovers as York pushed. Matthew Orr on the left whipped in a delicious cross for Gorczyczweski to head York back into the game, with 15 minutes to play. Gorczyczweski pushed forward again and unleashed a great shot that the Hull keeper parried, but Davis just couldn’t get over the ball to keep the rebound down for a deserved equaliser.

A very encouraging performance again from York despite the defeat and it bodes well for the future as they continue to grow as a team week after week. Next Saturday sees the visit of last season’s league and cup champions, Barnsley, for yet another tough game.

Final score: Hull 2 – 1 York
Goalscorer: Olaf Gorczyczweski