York & District Schoolboys Football

U15s York & District 3-1 Chester Le Street (AET – Champions Cup Plate Quarter Final)

Champions Cup Plate QF
York v Chester Le Street
Date: 24 February 2024
Venue: York

Team Lineup: Ben Alder, Luca Long, Matteo James, Harley Waddington, Oliver Waygood, Sam Parris, Charlie Anderson, Bodhi Justice, Harry Waines, Isaac Arif, Ewan Daly, Finn Davis, Matthew Orr, Olaf Gorczyczewski

York’s U15s adventures in their maiden Champions Cup appearance continued with a fantastic 3-1 win over a very strong Chester Le Street side at home. Extra time was needed to separate the sides with the score tied at 1-1 after 80 minutes. But in a tense, nervous additional 20mins, York pulled clear to progress into the semi-finals of the national plate competition.

Despite the heavy rain throughout the week, the York pitches were playable and the sun came out to help burn away the early morning fog. Both teams started well and it was evident from early on that this would be a tight contest. Dara Sanusi threatened to score twice in the opening minutes, but shot too early as the Chester Le Street keeper saved well.

On the left wing Finn Davis was his usual busy self and Sam Parris started on the right and was straight into the action, working well with Sanusi up front. In the midfield Isaac Arif and Harry Waines were the double pivot with Olaf Gorczyczewski occupying the spaces between the lines. It was Parris who struck first with an excellent shot from outside the box that looped over the keeper to give York the lead. He almost repeated the trick when a similar shot just cleared the top of the bar.

The initial line up saw a strong defence of Oliver Waygood, Charlie Anderson, Harley Waddington and Luca Long, holding firm with Ben Alder in goals pulling off a great save when turning away a fierce shot that came through a lot of bodies. Chester Le Street were creating chances too and their tricky forward jinked his way through the York defence but his shot drifted just wide. It was a let off for York. As the team rotated, Matthew Orr replaced Sanusi. Matteo James on for Long and Bodhi Justice came in for Waines. This didn’t impact York at all as they easily matched their opponents, getting to half time with the slender lead.

Ewan Daly was on the right for the second half and was a constant thorn in the side for Chester Le Street with great wing play and attacking opportunities. But it was Gorczyczewski who was now driving the York team forward with sheer persistence and work rate, winning the ball back on multiple occasions. With Justice too unwell to continue Waines returned to midfield, and alongside Arif offered excellent protection to the back four with them winning every header and clearance. York almost went 2-0 up when Waddington’s header crashed off the bar from an excellent Davis corner. Daly put Gorczyczewski through with a defence splitting pass only to be called offside. Orr was running himself into the ground pressing from the front.

But it was Chester Le Street who picked up the pressure in the late stages when a stunning overhead kick came off the crossbar, and another shot drifted wide, but then a slick move opened the York defence for the forward to slot the equaliser with around 5 minutes to go. Hard lines for York, but now they had to regather and ensure that the game didn’t slip away from them. At the end of normal time the sides were level and meant another 10 minutes each way to decide the outcome and avoid penalties.

It was York that were the stronger side in extra time. Davis and Daly were threatening on the wings and it was through this combination that York should have retaken the lead when a Davis cross was met at the back post by Daly who blazed over the bar from only yards out. But Parris then set up Gorczyczewski, springing the offside trap to score a well deserved goal for him and the team. Still Chester Le Street came back and York survived a scare when the ball somehow evaded everyone including Alder who breathed a sigh of relief as it trickled past the post.

In the second half of extra time York created more chances and Orr was now getting in on the action cutting if from the right with his left foot. Sanusi continued to make a nuisance of himself up front with his constantly hassling for the ball and between him and Gorczyczewski Chester Le Street struggled to get out. It was Orr who turned provider when his pull back cross was met by Davis at the back post, and although not the sweetest of strikes it was enough to get over the line for the ever important 3rd goal and and buffer between the teams. There was no way back for Chester Le Street this time as the ref blew for full time as York advanced to the semi finals where Knowsley St Helens await.

A fantastic team performance from all and a fully deserved win for York, as their Champions Cup adventure continues……

Final Score: York & District 3 – 1 Chester Le Street (AET)
Scorers: Parris, Gorczyczewski, Davis