U13s York 3- 5 Sheffield

York Schoolboys today hosted Sheffield in a potential league decider, with both teams unbeaten at the start of play this was always going to be a closely contested encounter.

Sheffield took the early advantage with the wind behind them they kept York pinned in their own half with York finding it difficult to clear their lines and get the forwards involved. This pressure told on 15 minutes when Sheffield took the lead capitalising on a wayward clearance falling to the Sheffield forward who was allowed to weave through the York defence to score.

From the kick off York started to get involved in the game and on 20 minutes pressure from Joe Crosby caused an error in the Sheffield  defence allowing Manni De Nobriga to set up Rob Guilfoyle to level the score at 1-1.

Sheffeild then took advantage of the wind behind them with a long ball forward which bounced over the York defence to allow the Sheffield striker in to make the score 2-1. The game was now turning into a midfield battle, and York midfielders Charlie Ward & Lucas Wilson were working hard to keep York in the game.

Sheffield squandered a number of good chances in the first half without really troubling York keeper Patrick Randall, York’ best effort fell to Guilfoyle who shot narrowly over to leave York behind 1-2 at half time.

With the wind behind York in the second half they applied the early pressure and rocked Sheffield with a well worked goal following a foul on Charlie Ward but clever refereeing allowing the advantage sent Dom Jackson down the right flank who’s clever pass finds Wilson who layed the ball to Charlie Jebson King to hit a first time strike into the top corner to level the scores.

York were now on the front foot and a clever ball from Jamie Higginbotham set up De Nobriga to narrowly fire wide. The goal of the game came from Rob Guilfoyle who’s turn and first time strike from 25 yards flew over the Sheffield keeper to make it 3-2 to York.

Sheffield now applied constant pressure to the York defence and forced a fine one on one save from Patrick Randall. The pressure told on the York defence with 8 minutes remaining Sheffield equalised from close range following a goalmouth scramble.

With the normal time up Sheffield scored two more in injury time to win a highly competitive game 5-3.

This was a disappointing end to a game that was fiercely contested and a fair result would have been a draw. The York lads were immense and gave everything but unfortunately we were undone by a good physical Sheffield team. We are really proud of the lads today, they all gave 110% and we couldn’t have asked for any more from them.