U13s York 3-3 Huddersfield

U13s V Huddersfield Jan 16York U13s hosted Huddersfield in the league after an eight week lay-off and with a depleted squad handing debuts to Ben Rhodes and Ben Heath.

Huddersfield started precedings on a bitterly cold blustery day; but it was York who took the initiative with Elliot Oliver and Leo Potts in the centre of midfield winning the ball and releasing Luke Jones, who, after beating a couple players hit a pin point cross field pass to Connor Teal charging down the right wing and after driving into the box through the Huddersfield defence hit a sweet shot over the advancing goalkeeper to put York 1-0 up in the third minute.

From the resulting kick-off Huddersfield had their first attack of the game forcing a great save from Joseph Hodge and as they searched for an equaliser another fine save from Joseph Hodge and a last minute block by Alfie Evans kept Huddersfield at bay.

With both teams settling into the game it was York who started to dominate with Luke Jones forcing a last gasp block from the Huddersfield defender and unlucky to see his eighteen-yard strike kiss the top of the crossbar.  In the twentieth minute a Huddersfield goal kick was picked up by the hard working midfield of Oliver Hanley, Connor Teale, Leo Potts and Elliot Oliver who passing to Ben Heath put Luke Jones through on goal who calmly slotted the ball bottom right of the advancing Huddersfield keeper putting York 2-0 inside twenty minutes.

Again Huddersfield attacked from the resulting kick-off with Leo Jones, this time, putting in a last ditch tackle to snuff out the Huddersfield attack. From the resulting corner, with York failing to clear their lines Huddersfield found a way through the York defence to pull a goal back making the score 2-1 in the 23rd minute.

It was Huddersfield’s turn to dominate but York’s defence of Ben Rhodes, Alfie Evans, Jacob Caringella and Leo Jones stood resolute to make the half time score 2-1 to York.

The second half started with Nathan Storr in in goal for the home side as the action was end to end with Connor Teale and Luke Jones coming forcing saves from the Huddersfield shot stopper before Nathan Storr was called into action at the other end.  Huddersfield were edging the possession stats as a looping shot from the Huddersfield attacker was expertly watched by Nathan Storr, who timing his jump pushed the goal bound dipping shot over the bar.

Huddersfield’s pressure finally paid off as they scored the equaliser they were looking for making the score 2-2 in the 56th minute.

York produced from the kick-off, arguably the best move of the game which was started and finished by debutant Ben Heath. Taking the kick-off to Luke Jones, who passed to Elliot Oliver in midfield passing to debutant Ben Rhodes putting a sweet pass down the right wing to Connor Teale, after beating his man found Luke Jones, who running cross field, hit another pin-point pass to Olly Hanley charging down the left flank and driving to the bye-line pulled the ball back to the edge of the 6-yard box for Ben Heath to steer the ball to the right of the Huddersfield keeper putting York back in front within a minute of the restart making it 3-2.

York had chances to increase their lead, but Luke Jones found the Huddersfield keeper in form as his twenty Yard dipping shot was well watched by the Huddersfield keeper.  Huddersfield were still chasing the game as they pushed men forward with two Huddersfield attackers latching onto a through ball they managed to bundle through the York defence and calmly finish putting the game back on parity at 3-3 with less than five minutes to play.

York pushed for the winner with the keeper saving well from another Luke Jones shot. With seconds to spare Conner Teal released Luke Jones down the right side of the penalty area who fizzed the ball in across the 6-yard box only for it to agonisingly escape the three advancing York players, leaving the full time score evens at 3-3.

Managers Comments (Alan Oliver / Neil Stephenson): A massive thank you to Ben Rhodes and Ben Heath- for a great debut. Both showed outstanding qualities and surely appear to be banging on the door to get a place in the schoolboys.

Team performance – great commitment in difficult weather conditions. Good lesson learnt when you’re 2-0 up not to sit back, still carry on playing your football until the final whistle.

Special thanks to all parents for your support and commitment.

Man of the Match was awarded to Connor Teale

Scorers: Teale, Luke Jones, Heath

Squad: Hodge, Storr, Leo Jones, Caringella, Evans, Rhodes, Potts, Oliver, Teale, Hanley, Luke Jones, Heath.  (Injured – White, Calam.  Unavailable– McCoy, Stephenson)