U12s York 4-0 Huddersfield

York school boys got back into league action against Huddersfield. The terriers were sure to be a major test for the school boys with a scattering of academy players throughout their squad.

Huddersfield were well drilled and always tried to play out from the back at every opportunity.  Both teams early on were well matched with the minster men making the better of the chances through Taylor Bell who was having an outstanding first half for York.

Both defences seemed to have the upper hand with York’s defence of Hudson, Roughly and Turbine having their customary solid performance.  It took until the half hour for the break through to come and it was no surprise that it was Bell that made the difference beating two defenders and cutting the ball back for Lewis Humphreys to open the scoring with a low shot from inside the box.

The goal had the effect of settling down the Minster men and they now started to make chances right across the park. It wasn’t long before a through ball from Will Hollings that cut open the visitors defence for Elliot Heath to run on to, the striker coolly put away the opportunity for York’s second of the game.

York now looked to drive home their advantage by bringing on Meehan, Kilvington and Tingle. Not long after Harry Tinker who was one of the main reasons York were in the position whey were in, found Will Hollings on the edge of the box Hollings hitting the back of the net with a shot that the keeper had no chance with.

The Minster men now had a three goal advantage and were running the terriers ragged with Jack Lowe turning the visitors defence inside out with every chance he got so it was no surprise that the terriers felt they had to bring him down to stop him just outside the box.

Kilvington took the free kick that bent round the wall and was heading for the top corner only for the Terriers’ keeper to pull off a fine one handed save.  Huddersfield had a couple of chances but Todd Edgar was in fine form stopping one shot from point blank range and turning another one round the post.

York were still on the lookout for a fourth through Dan Tingle who kept probing the terriers defence and it was his pass that found Harry Tinker who laid the ball off for Humphreys to get his second of the game and York’s fourth.

York finished the game on the front foot always trying to make chances.  The home side overcame a difficult opponent with some fine individual performances and with a fantastic team spirit.