U15s Nottingham 2-1 York

York U15s travelled to Nottingham for their second league game of the season looking for their first win after being unlucky to lose against Barnsley.

York Kicked off proceedings with Ben Calam, Elliot Oliver, Harvey Stephenson and Liam White dominating midfield with some nice passing football, forcing the first corner of the game in the 3rd minute.

From the corner Will Jarvis saw his first shot, of many, desperately blocked by the Nottingham defender. As the game progressed, Nottingham eased themselves into the game with shots from distance, finding Leo Jones, Louis Jarvis, Kieran Ledger and Sid McCoy resolute in the York defence.

A 13th minute Nottingham corner caught York napping as the Nottingham striker ghosted unmarked into the penalty area lifting the ball over the stranded York keeper, putting them 1-0 to the good.

Ed Hammond a chance to level on 17 minutes, but found the Nottingham shot stopper in fine form, after being put through 1 on 1 by Will Jarvis.  This was the start of a period of York pressure, forcing three corners in quick succession with the Nottingham keeper saving again from a Will Jarvis shot, York were unable to make their dominance count.   As York continued to press for the equaliser before the break a Nottingham counter attack called York keeper Nathan Storr into action to pull off a 1 on 1 save as Nottingham found a rare breach in the York defence.

Will Jarvis again tested the keeper from a free kick delivered by Luke Jones but the Nottingham shot stopper was putting in a man of the match performance for the hosts as minutes a defender blocked a shout from Luke Jones from a corner swung in by Liam White.  Eventually York found the breakthrough they wanted, in the 36th, minute when Will Jarvis was put through on goal, after a jinxing run by Liam White picking the ball up from Max Potter in midfield, making no mistake and slotting the ball to the right of the on-rushing keeper putting the scores level just before half time.

York started the second half in the same fashion with Luke Jones’ free kick narrowly going wide after curling it around the wall.  Kieran Ledger forced another save from the Nottingham keeper before Harvey Stephenson hit the side netting from a tight angle after breezing through the Nottingham defence down the right flank.  Will Jarvis came the closest to putting York ahead and was unlucky to see his cross-goal shot rebound of the far upright after some good work down the left.

Nathan Storr was called into action, saving from the Nottingham striker when he was put through on goal from a long clearance, in the 75th minute.  As York pushed for the winning goal and Nottingham defending bravely a long clearance upfield was ceased upon by the Nottingham striker who this time slotted the ball past the on-rushing York keeper putting them 2-1 up with 3 minutes remaining.  York tried in vain to get something from a game they should have been comfortable in, found Nottingham managing the game well, breaking up play at every opportunity, to hang on to their slender lead with the game finishing 2-1 after a late drama.

Managers Comments (Alan Oliver / Neil Stephenson): well done to the lads. Completely dominated the game. On a different day we would have come away with a 7-1 win but that’s football for you.

Let’s keep doing what we are doing and hopefully turn a corner for next weeks tough game against Sheffield.

Man of the Match was awarded to Louis Jarvis

Scorers: W Jarvis (36)

Squad: Storr, Leo Jones, White, Calam, Stephenson, Oliver, Luke Jones, W. Jarvis, McCoy, Potter, Ledger, L. Jarvis, Dawson.