U14’s York 1-4 East Riding.(Yorkshire Cup 1st round)

This was a game of opportunities taken and opportunities missed. York started very well and passed the ball out of midfield to feed the wings which led to a number of crosses into the visitor’s penalty box. The first chance came on 9 minutes when E R conceded a free kick just inside their own half. Tom Algar launching a pass to Mathew Dawes who found space in the penalty box, the chip shot going just over the bar. From the goal kick ER was able to launch their own attack, winning a free kick on the corner of the York penalty box. A scuffed cross entered the York penalty area, York failed to clear their lines, and a close range shot put ER 0-1 on 11 mins. ER maintained the pressure and their number 10 tip toed through the York midfield firing off a powerful shot. York keeper Louis Powell dived to his left and got two hands to the ball deflecting it away from goal. Unfortunately ER were first to the ball and found the back of the net. 2 nil to the visitors. 4 mins later and York conceded their third goal. From a goal kick the ball went straight to a blue shirt who sent it straight back, only for their striker to latch onto it, a little lay off and ER took their opportunity, 3 nil to the visitors. York steadied themselves, and went back to passing the ball and started to make progress down the wings but could not create shooting opportunities before the half-time whistle.

Second half started with York taking the game to ER, Jacob Batty linking up well with Archie Colley who crossed the ball first time into the box, just beyond the reach of striker Joe Sidebottom. ER cleared the ball, only for Jacob to send Archie down the left wing again who whipped in a cross for it to go tantalising across goal. York pushed on with the game and a through ball had Joseph beating the defence only for their goalkeeper to bring him down with a clumsy dive and York awarded a penalty. ER goalkeeper made up for his error by saving the penalty. ER launched a counterattack down the left and a pass to their striker culminated in a neat finish. 4 nil. Once again York steadied the ship and started controlling the game. Passing the ball through midfield was Adam Guilfoyle and Ellis Cattaneo who were able to switch play from one wing to the other where Callum Thorpe was able to apply pressure to their defence. York were playing for pride and created half chances until a passing sequence on the edge of the box and a cross finally fell nice for Joe, who had no problems with putting his laces through the ball to find the back of the net, 1-4. York pressed on with Tom Algar picking out Archie Colley with a long diagonal pass who crossed to Joseph, but this time the ball went the wrong side of the crossbar. The referee brought the game to a close soon after. Final score 1-4.

MOTM Mathew Dawes.

York U 14’s next match, home V Derby. Saturday 1st December