U11s Leeds B 1-4 York

Storm Dennis couldn’t stop York schoolboys at a wet and blustery Leeds on Saturday morning.  Thanks must go again to St. Theresa’s school for managing to get the game on despite the conditions.

This was a real contest as both teams were neck and neck until the final quarter of the game. Leeds, physically imposing and strong were the better of the 2 teams in the early exchanges testing Oliver Wood in goals early on. York needed to switch on as they were second best in most areas of the pitch.

Slowly but surely York found the rhythm and Theo Clarke, Michael Kydd and the excellent Joe Turbine were settling down well at the back. Finn Simpson was starting to get some joy down the right-hand side as York finally started to put pressure on the Leeds defence. This paid off when a Leeds clearance deflected off Finn Simpson for the opening score of the game. It was unlucky for Leeds but Simpson was in the right place at the right time.

The 2nd period continued to be a tight affair with York probing and Leeds countering. Too many touches, too many turns and not releasing the ball quick enough was preventing York from really threatening, and a sucker punch arrived with a great counter attack goal from Leeds to make it 1-1.

Not to be undone, York regained the lead when Charlie Calderwood struck a long range shot over the keeper’s reach. Bodhi Justice and Bobby Moore in midfield were now everywhere and Ewan Daly and Finn Davis were putting severe pressure on the Leeds backline with their high pressing as conditions began to worsen. At the other end Wood was quick off his line to block a 1 on 1 and the York defence scrambled to clear the rebound off the line.

Into the final 20mins and a blow for York as influential midfielder Bodhi Justice needed to withdraw due to a knock. Leeds came close with rasping shot hitting the post.  Moore then took the game by the scruff of its neck to turn in a wonderful final 15mins. Tough tackling, great positional play and quick release of the ball saw York begin to turn the screw. Oliver Ellis collected the ball on the right and curled in a wonderful strike to give York some breathing room. Unfortunately, another injury for York saw Daly leave the field early but Finn Davis was on hand to turn in arguably his best performance for York, capped off with a great goal direct from his free kick in the last few minutes of the game. Leeds didn’t give up but York held out for an impressive 4-1 win.

The top of the table is starting to get congested now with many teams vying for top spot and York’s result today has kept them well in the hunt.

Scorers: Simpson, Calderwood, Ellis, Davis