York & District Schoolboys Football

U13s East Riding 7-3 York

A much-changed York & District U13 Schoolboys team took to the field for its first competitive game since football was stopped in March 2020, against the same opposition as that last game 18 months ago, East Riding. Since then, many players have moved on to academies and many of the new incoming players were getting their first taste of competitive Schoolboys football, and it was a tough start at one of the strongest teams in the league.

It was great to be back on the (3G) pitch and the York team acquitted themselves well despite the end scoreline. Starting the game well, York took an early lead through Finn Davis, opening his league account following good work from the tireless Olaf Gorcyczewska to draw out the keeper, squaring to Davis to slot home the first goal of the game. A great start and the league campaign was up and running. At the back York were defending well and Harrison Clark was having to work extremely hard to keep East Riding’s pacy winger at bay, but eventually that pace paid off as East Riding levelled, then followed up with a flurry of goals.

York continued to battle with Miles Merer, Harry Clarkson and Micah Godwin all competing well in midfield. Ewan Waddington was tenacious in the defensive midfield role breaking up play but Ewan Daly was unlucky to leave the field early through injury. East Riding continued to push for goals and the excellent Oliver Wood was keeping them at bay with assured goalkeeping. At half time the score was a bit harsh on York, but it was that extra quality of the East Riding players that was difference in key moments.

The second half started better with the defensive pairing of Harley Waddington and Joe Turbine much tighter and organised, limiting the East Riding runs through the centre. Dylan Harvey, Archie Klaar and Edward Shakeshaft also made telling contributions as York pushed forward. A goal for Gorcyczewska gave York renewed hope, but East Riding’s outstanding winger was showing his class time and time again and they started to pull away on the scoreboard.

Great work from Merer put Davis through only to be clipped by the keeper. Davis then converted the penalty as a late, deserved consolation for York. A tough start to the campaign but plenty of positives to be taken.