U15s York 2 Wakefield 2

York Schoolboys Under 15s fought out a 2-2 draw with Wakefield in a home league encounter, the result keeps the pressure on Hull and Leeds who are above them in the table having played more games.

With wind advantage first half Wakefield edged possession and committed players forward looking to make the most of the conditions. However, York dealt with their lively striker well and saw out the half fairly comfortably with left back Jamie Spaven impressing on return from injury.

The second half predictably opened up and York seized their chance to dominate. Luca Colville retained possession well and Sam Drake drove York forward with powerful runs from midfield. Elliot Fenton and Alex Wilson also linked up well and the home team gained due reward for some concerted pressure albeit in fortunate circumstances. Jacob Smith’s speculative long range shot looked harmless but the visitor’s keeper somehow let the ball squirm through his legs and trickle over the line.

York then looked to be well on top but just as a killer second goal seemed likely a mix up at the back gifted Wakefield an equaliser. This galvanised the away team and they took the lead with 15 minutes remaining with a free header following a corner kick.

This was a real kick in the teeth for the hosts who had been the better side second period but the excellent team spirit and never say die attitude that has stood them in good stead all season was evident again as they hauled themselves back into the game in the closing stages.

York forced their opponents to defend deeper and won a series of corner kicks as they threw everything into finding an equaliser. Adam Wilson was unlucky not to deliver it as he chased a through ball into the box only for the advancing keeper to save well at his feet.

However, York staged a late rally for the second week running and with 5 minutes left on the clock Wilson again troubled the Wakefield defence eventually being upended just outside the penalty area. Man of the match Luca Colville then rifled the resultant free kick into the bottom left corner to ensure York claimed the draw they deserved to stay in touch with the leaders at the top of the league.