U12s York 1-2 Barnsley

York schoolboy’s U12s this week played host to Barnsley in the league, York still unbeaten this season so far started with the wind behind them and started strongly with early shots from Will Hollings and Harry Tinker.

York at this point looked to be carrying on from where they had left off from last week’s game with nice passing movements and quick interplays so when Barnsley got a throw in deep into York’s half after ten minutes everything seemed to be under control, then Barnsley took a quick throw that caught York unawares the ball being whipped into the box and turned in before the city boys knew what had hit them.

This was the first time this season York had been behind and now would be a test of character for the city boys. York saw out the rest of the half on the front foot keeping Barnsley firmly pinned back into their own half with Lewis Humphreys and Elliot Heath creating chance after chance with nothing sticking or going their way.

The South Yorkshire keeper was having a fine game and was keeping his team in the game, in the second half the minstermen now with the wind in their faces had changed formation going to four in midfield leaving Humphreys now up front on his own.

Barnsley still playing with four in defence were still being made to work hard by a York team that wasn’t about to give up their unbeaten run easily with Dan Tingle running the game from midfield for York. Barnsley still only playing on the break with the wind not being such a factor in the game with the minstermen playing the ball on the floor.

Harry Tinker made another move that finished with the Barnsley keeper pushing another shot away from Humphreys into the path of Taylor Bell who put the ball away to get York back on equal terms with everything going the way of the home side.

Barnsley weren’t finished yet and five minutes later the South Yorkshire team  pumping the ball long which the York defence had chance to deal with but somehow missed chance after chance to clear the ball letting in the Barnsley striker to hit a low drive that hit the back of the net from probably only their second or third chance of the game, with only a few minutes left York sent forward their centre half Ben Hudson who had his usual solid performance in defence to try and get something from the game. Barnsley were now trying to slow down the game with player after player going down injured making it hard for York to get any quality possession, the game finishing with the minstermen still pushing for an equalizer.

The home side had some fine performances from Roughly, Tinker, Tingle and Bell who was later taken to hospital for stiches in a nasty cut that could keep him out for weeks. York learned a harsh lesson today that will make them a better team from the experience. Final score 1-2.