U13s East Riding 2-4 York (ESFA Rd2)

U13s ESFA Rd2 v East Riding Away Nov 2016 (1)

East Riding play host to York schoolboys in the second round of the English schools FA Cup, this was to be the third meeting between the two sides so far this season with York coming out on top in one and drawing the other.

The game started in bright blustery conditions with York straight on the front foot with early chances for Ben Thornton and Lewis Humphreys.

The first half would be a game of attack versus defence with the home team playing deep trying to soak up the pressure and playing on the break with chances coming a plenty for the city boys, Taylor Bell cutting in from the left wing shooting just wide and Humphreys and Hollings both have shots that kept the Riding keeper busy.

The home side were kept at bay and restricted to only one long range shot that Todd Edgar the York keeper collected high above his head.  Yorks defence of Tingle, Hudson, Roughly and Turbine mopped up everything that came their way.

From a pre-planned short corner from Oliver Kilvington, Taylor Bell collected the ball and ran into the box unchallenged catching the home side asleep he put a pass across the face of the goal that had everyone beat and another chance went by.  Half time came with the score still at nil nil with the home side still well in the game.

Second half and York rang the tactical changes going to three at the back and pushing Hollings further up the field, with only five minutes gone Ben Thornton ran on to a through ball and calmly slotted the ball home from just inside the box 0-1.

York kept the pressure on the home side with fine performances in midfield from Jackson,  Cowl and Harry Tinker who kept driving the city boys forward and it was from this midfield pairing that York got their second goal with the move of the game which also involved Ben Pearson, who played in Elliott Heath at the edge of the box, Heath beat one defender and hit a low drive wide of the keeper to send the away team two up.0-2.

With twenty minutes to go the game took an unexpected change when the Ridings striker latched on to a poor back pass that put him in on goal, before he could get his shot away he was brought down inside the box, Penalty for the home side.  Toby Warren dived to his right but couldn’t stop the ball hitting the back of the net.1-2.

Straight from the kick off and before the city boys could get their heads round what had just happened the home side were on the attack again this time of their own making, the attack was cleared for a corner, from the corner the city boys failed to clear the ball dropping to a ridings player who put the home side level.2-2.

The home side were now up for the fight more than at any point of the game but they hadn’t counted on the spirit and determination of the York team who rallied to a man.

Elliott Rayner slotted the ball into the feet of Heath who turned and shot before the keeper could react, firing home from inside the box.2-3.

With five minutes to go York looked to shore up the defence to shut out the home side in the remaining minutes, when Turbine collected the ball deep in his own half playing a one two with Hollings along the touch line that kept the move right to the corner flag, Turbine wasn’t finished yet, cutting inside the full back and into the goal area before turbine could release the ball he was brought down for the second penalty of the game.

Turbine stepped up to take the penalty and fired it home to give the city boys a two goal lead with only seconds to go.2-4.  Within seconds of the restart the referee blew up to end the game.

York going through to the third round of the English School FA CUP.2-4.