U13s Hambleton & Richmond 3-0 York

On a semi thawing pitch Hambleton and Richmond played host to York schoolboys.  From the very start conditions were tricky to say the least.

The away team started the stronger playing down a slopping pitch. Taylor Bell creating some early chances for Ben Thornton and Eliott Heath both going close. With the pitch still thawing and rock hard in some places both teams found controlling the ball difficult but York were playing the better football with the home side on the back foot.

Chances kept coming for the York team with Harry Tinker and Ben Hudson.  As the half moved on the home side began to get into the game but they found Jackson Cowl In a fine vain of form along with Ben Pearson both playing their best football for the schoolboys.

Todd Edgar the York keeper at this point had a lot less to do than his opponents counterpart, who again was called into play when the city boys got a free kick about twenty-five yards out.  Oliver Kilvington took the free kick beating the wall and heading in the corner when the keeper got an out stretched arm to the ball, the ball running along the line which was scrambled round the post for a corner.

Another chance going begging with two minutes left to half time Hambleton got a corner, their first of the game, the corner came in and from two yards out with no challenge the home side took the lead with a volley.1-0 Second half York now playing up hill reverted to three at the back putting an extra player in midfield, this seemed to work with York still making chances at will.  Lewis Humphreys had a fine game upfront working tirelessly for the cause.

As York have found to their cost this season not putting away your chances soon comes back to haunt you.   George Turbine and Dan Tingle both looking assured at the back mopping up everything in front of them, so when a back pass to Toby Warren in goal went astray the keeper couldn’t reach, it found its way into the York goal 2-0.

York rallied to a man, with Elliot Rayner and Joe Roughley combining down the right-hand side.

York now with three up front and still missing chances for fun kept the home side firmly camped in their own half, with their only outlet long balls out from the back, it was one of these clearances that cleared the back three of York, with a well timed run from the winger that left the city keeper Warren with a one on one, the forward putting away the chance with style.3-0.

York Schoolboys rallied to a man and had several chances to get some respectability out of the game but it wasn’t to be.