York & District Schoolboys Football

U12s Scarborough 2-4 York

Following last week’s tournament York Schoolboys Under 12’s returned to action in a friendly away at Scarborough.

With only nine players available due to injuries York started the game slowly, defending very deep but the defensive trio of Ben Myers, Paul Iggulden and Josh Boast stood firm and kept the Scarborough forwards at bay.

As the game progressed York gained in confidence and took the lead on 7 minutes when Adam Clarkson played a defence splitting pas to Ronnie Kelly who ran on to calmly slot the ball home past the advancing Scarborough keeper.

York now took control of the game and extended their lead when Josh Boast played the ball down the line to Ronnie Kelly who’s cross was headed home by Adam Clarkson to make it 2-0 to York. Scarborough were soon back in the game with a great strike to make the score 2-1 at the end of the first third.

The start of the second period sees York going close with Kelly firing just over the bar. With York pressing to extend their lead, they were caught by a Scarborough break who drew the scores level with a fine finish. York were now under pressure and having to dig deep with midfielders Adam Clarkson and Liam Mainprize working tirelessly in front of the York defence. Towards the end of the second period York started to get themselves back into the game with Dan Gallagher and Liam Mainprize creating chances for Ronnie Kelly who’s efforts went narrowly wide. The second period ended 2-2.

The third period began with York starting strongly applying pressure to the Scarborough defence, and creating the first chance when Adam Clarkson played in Chris Pooley who’s shot was well saved by the Scarborough keeper. York soon regained the lead when Paul Iggulden winning the ball in the middle of the pitch, then beating a couple of players before despatching his shot into the back of the net to make it 3-2. York were now in control and soon extended their lead further when Dan Gallagher and Adam Clarkson combined to set up Liam Mainprize who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner to make the score 4-2.

As the game ended Scarborough created a couple more chances which were well saved by York keeper Henry Jackson. In the final minute, Scarborough were awarded a penalty which was put wide of the York post.

Final Score 4-2.

This was a good hard-fought victory by the York squad and the new management team were very pleased with how the lads came back from losing a two goal lead, this showed great character.

Man of the match – Chris Pooley.