U12s York 6-2 Scarborough ( Michael Dale Trophy Final)

Following a couple of weeks break York Schoolboys Under 12’s returned to action in the final of the MD Trophy.

Straight from the kick off York started strongly and took the lead within the first couple of minutes when Dan Gallagher and Jamie Hudson combined down the right finding Liam Mainprize who cuts the ball back from the byline where striker Ronnie Kelly steers his shot into the bottom left hand corner of the Scarborough goal.

Straight from the kick off York continued to apply the pressure and extended their lead in the fifth minute when a Scarborough goal kick is closed down by Liam Mainprize forcing an error by the defender allowing the loose ball to fall to Ronnie Kelly who calmly found the back of the net.

As the half progressed Scarborough recovered from their early set back and started to apply pressure on the York defence of Jamie Hudson, Paul Iggulden and Ben Myers who stood firm, keeping the score 2-0 to York at the end of the first third.

Scarborough started the second period strongly and produced an outstanding save from York keeper Henry Jackson following a long range effort which was deflected, Henry managed to re-adjust in in mid air to save the shot with his feet.

York found it hard to create chances in the second period as Scarborough continued to recover from their shaky start. Reuben Pugh was replaced after 30 minutes due to taking a knock after working really hard for the team in defence and attack, he was replaced by Dylan Jones who came on to give extra support in defence. Late in the second period a Ben Myers corner was met by Paul Iggulden which hit Liam Mainprize who struck the loose ball into the bottom corner to make the score 3-0 at the end of the second period.

The third and final period saw York back to their best and soon extended the lead further when Ryan Evans long range effort was spilled by the keeper allowing Ronnie Kelly to round the keeper and score from a tight angle to complete his hat-trick.

York increased their lead even further when influential midfielder Adam Clarkson plays in Kelly who beats the Scarborough defender and square the ball to Liam Mainprize who side foots the ball past the Scarborough keeper to make the score 5-0.

Ryan Evans then made the score 6-0 to York from the penalty spot after he was brought down following a mazy run beating a couple of defenders before being fouled in the area.

With the game won York eased off and unfortunately conceded two late goals to make the final score 6-2.

York goalkeeper, George Brown made a brave appearance in the final couple of minutes after unfortunately getting injured in the warm up.

This was a great all round performance from the team and probably their best performance of the season against a difficult Scarborough team and were deserved winners of the cup final.